Exhibitors who booked space on the South African Tourism stand at ITB Berlin are still awaiting clarity on liability for costs incurred following the cancellation of the event.
Organisers of the event, Messe Berlin, announced late last Friday that ITB Berlin – scheduled to take place from March 4-6 this week – had been cancelled due to the increasing global spread of the novel coronavirus (COVID-19).
SA Tourism is still consulting with the organisers and should have a better understanding of the liability around cancellation of the trade show, according to Chief Convention Bureau Officer: SA Tourism, Amanda Kotze-Nhlapo,
She told Tourism Update that communication to the exhibitors who had taken space on the SA Tourism stand would resume once the internal process had been finalised, highlighting that highlighted that there was an existing contract between SA Tourism and exhibitors and the SA Tourism legal department had since reviewed the contracts.
“Recommendations have been made and these will be communicated soon with all affected exhibitors that were registered to attend ITB at the South Africa stand together with SA Tourism,” explained Kotze-Nhlapo.
According to her, exhibitors independently booked their travel and accommodation arrangements for ITB, which does not form part of their financial commitment when they book their spot on the SA stand through SA Tourism.
“This means that exhibitors will have cancellation fees for flights and accommodation as their costs as well as cost for the stand,” commented Kotze-Nhlapo.
CEO of Tourvest Destination Management, Martin Wiest, told Tourism Update that the company would expend around R400 000 on ITB without benefit. He added that only a fraction of the flights, hotel accommodation and other travel-related expenses would be covered.