Hilton Durban closes its doors

The Hilton Durban closed on February 5 following the end of a management agreement between Hilton and the property owner, African American Properties Hotel Pty, a subsidiary of the Bin Otaiba Hotel Group.

“Despite our continued efforts to maintain a constructive partnership, the management agreement came to an end on February 5, 2026. As a result, the property no longer operates under the Hilton Hotels & Resorts brand and is no longer part of the Hilton portfolio,” a Hilton spokesperson told Tourism Update.

In November last year, Tourism Update reported that plans were under way to rebrand the Hilton in Durban, and other properties owned by the Bin Otaiba Group, under the Royal Majestic brand after the former Hyatt in Rosebank reopened as Royal Majestic.

With African American Properties Hotel Pty and Bin Otaiba Hotel Group assuming control of the Hilton Durban, Hilton said it was no longer able to assist with existing bookings at the property. “We appreciate that this will be frustrating to guests, but this exceptional circumstance is outside of our control,” said Hilton.

The hotel brand said its remaining four hotels across South Africa would continue to welcome guests, with another four new hotels in the pipeline and multiple other hotel projects under review.

Tourism Update was unable obtain comment from Royal Majestic, despite repeated attempts.